It is highly recommended that your system be sanitized each year.
View a Printable Copy of These Instructions
- Close the shut-off valve that controls the flow to the system.
- Open the faucet where the filtered water comes out to relief the pressure.
- Loosen filter housings either by hand or with a housing wrench. Be careful to keep filter housing upright as it is full of water.
- Remove all housings and cartridges.
- Notice the O-rings in the filter housings. Some manufacturers recommend changing o-rings each year. We have not found this to be necessary, but having replacement o-rings on hand is always a good idea. Remove the o-rings so they, and their groove, can be wiped clean. Replace o-rings in groove making sure they are properly seated. A positive seal will not be possible if the O-ring is missing or not seated properly.
- Inspect old filter cartridges for excessive sediment build-up before discarding. If high sediment is detected, you might need to change the cartridges more frequently or consider adding an inexpensive sediment pre-filter cartridge to your system.
- Clean filter housings with warm soapy water and a brush. Also clean inside the filter housing caps and rinse.
- Prepare a sanitizing solution using 1 gallon of clean water in a clean bucket. Add 1/3 teaspoon of unscented household bleach to the water, Add 1 cup of this sanitizing solution to each filter housing sump (lower part).
- Connect housing sumps back together with caps sanitizing solution, but no cartridges.
- Open the shut-off valve and allow housings to fill with water.
- When water starts to flow out of the faucet, close the faucet.
- Allow water and bleach to contact the housings, lines, and faucet for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove filter housing sumps using procedure described above: shut-off valve, remove housings, and discard sanitizing solution to drain.
- Regardless of the current order of your cartridges, when using these cartridges, place the Carbon Block Cartridge (with netting) in the 1st housing & the KDF/GAC Cartridge (with plastic casing) in the 2nd.
- Open the valve and run water through the cartridges for 5 minutes to flush & activate the filters.
- Close the faucet and check for leaks.